1. November 30th 2017: we signed our lease – on Mark Twain’s birthday.
Signing our lease.
2. December 2017: our library refurbishment works began.
First phase of works to be completed by end of February 2018. This means all the basics will be in place, including flooring (we have restored the original parquet), heating, lighting, plumbing, the ceiling, etc. The Second Phase will then begin and will be completed dependent on funding. The library space, though not yet fully furnished, will be useable and available for hire from March 2018.
Fully appointing and furnishing the library may take a little longer, but we will use the space to continue fundraising to meet final refurbishment requirements.Our newly restored parquet floor.
3. Our Operations Committee continue to meet at 7.30 pm on the first Thursday of each month in the Long Room behind St Martin’s Church on Mortimer Rd. Kensal Green. This group works on the operational needs of the library; books; policies; volunteers; cataloguing; supporting events; IT; communications.
We particularly need more IT support and website design expertise.
Please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to become involved.
4. Events: ‘Lionel Shriver In Conversation with Tim Lott’ on Sunday January 28th was very successful, raising over £1000 for the library refurbishment. Attended by over 120 people it was thought-provoking and sparked some lively debate.
Lionel Shriver signing books at our January event.
Thanks to Graham Noyce for letting us have the event at St Martins, Alex at Berkmann Wines for donating the bar and all the volunteers who helped on the night. We are also grateful to the raffle prize donors: Tulip Siddiq MP, The Paradise, Jivita Ayurveda and Straker Hair.
Other events are being planned and we look forward to holding our first in the library.
5. Funding applications and grants: We have been successful with our bids for funds to both the Community Infrastructure Levy and the Harvist Trust. From the former we have two grants totalling £95,000 and from the latter £5,000. All will go towards the refurbishment of the library space, computers and books.
6. Support from local businesses, schools and organisations: we would like to thank the incredible generosity of all our local friends, including: Daniels Real Estate; The Paradise Pub Kensal Green; The Royal Oak Pub Harlesden; The Whippet Inn Kensal Green; MDS Builders London; Topps Tiles; Cresswell Carpets; Curry Nights; Messapica; Tesco; Nandos; The Parlour; Nuffield Health;Howdens Kitchens; Rajvel Deco (paint); Jivita Ayurveda; Gracelands; Scarlet & Violet; Bel and Nev; Berkmann Wines; Borough Wines; St Martins; Kensal Green Under Fives; Malorees Parents; QPCS; Princess Freds Parents; Brent Library Service; our Ward Councillors from Kensal Green, Brondesbury Park and Queens Park.