1. The Chief Planning Officer for Brent Council has recommended refusal of planning permission for the development of Kensal Rise Library.
His report can be read on the Brent Planning website. Link below.
Thank you to all of you that sent in objections about the proposed development.
As well as a submission from the ‘The Friends of Kensal Rise Library’ opposing the planning application we also sent in a petition against the proposal with 1478 signatures of local people and endorsement and support from 54 local organisations and businesses.
Well done to everyone in Kensal Green/Kensal Rise.
2. Planning Committee Site Meeting
Saturday 14th September at 9.50 am at Kensal Rise Library. The Planning Committee will be visiting Kensal Rise Library at this time. At the end of the visit you will be allowed to comment. You may have been sent a letter by the planning committee about this. Caroline will be reading stories for children at the children’s pop up library. Hope to see you all there
3. The Friends of Kensal Rise Library on the advice of the Metroplitan Police have sent a letter to Brent Council to complain about the suspicious statements of support for the proposed development for the library building. They have clear evidence that addresses of residents have been used without their consent and empty buildings and invented addresses have been cited in online comments. These have the potential to influence and mislead the public and the planning department, as well as the planning committee of Brent Council who will decide if the proposal is to go ahead.
These actions are also illegal. Thank you to those of you that have sent letters to the planning department if your address has been used in this way. We will be sending a further batch to the council this week and are looking forward to the results of the investigation that is being conducted by the council. We have also notified All Souls College of our evidence and the investigation being conducted by the council. We would like to thank Cllr Roxanne Mashari for her swift action in organising this investigation, and also the Metropolitan Police for their advice.
4. Planning Committee Meeting Wednesday 18th September at 7pm at the Civic Centre, Engineers Way, Wembley. The Friends of Kensal Rise Library will be represented at this meeting by my Co-Chair David Butcher. There will be other speakers including two from local resident’s associations and whoever has requested permission to speak and also the developer or his agent.
At this meeting the Planning Committee, which is made up of councillors, will decide whether or not to accept the recommendation of the Chief Planning Officer to refuse planning permission for the proposal for the library by Mr Andrew Gillick of Kensal Properties Ltd. We would like to see as many of you as possible at this meeting as it is important that we show how this community feels about the proposed development.
5. Transport to Planning Committee Meeting: We will be organising transport because getting to the Civic Centre and back is a bit awkward from here. A bus will be leaving from the library at 5.45pm on Wednesday 18th September. If you would like to travel on the bus could you please let me know so that I can reserve your place.
6. MA Architecture Exhibition at University of Westminster 35 Marylebone Rd NW1 5LS
Friday 13th September 6.30pm – 9.30pm and continues 14-24th September 9am – 9pm.
Liliya Kovachka who has just completed her MA at Westminster University will be holding an exhibition of her work. Liliya designed and made the brilliant shelves at the pop up library and has invited the entire community to view her project at this exhibition.
Admission is free. Nearest tube Baker St. Thank you Liliya for your continued support.
7. We hope to be organising a One day Literature Festival in late Autumn.
More details on this soon.
Many thanks to everyone for your continued support for this very long campaign.